HexaNeph Games is a small indie dev team that makes video games. Well, technically, we’re still making our first game, Hint, but you gotta start somewhere!
We’ll post articles periodically so check back in regularly for updates or subscribe below to get automatically notified when a new article goes live.
- Immersion is KeyI strongly believe that the best video games are the most immersive ones. Many games can have great mechanics, good art, or enjoyable music. The best games, however, can pull off the ultimate magic trick. They distort time and space itself! A truly immersive game can make hours turn into minutes and erase all thoughts of the real world. The Meaning of Immersion Varies Let’s start by attempting to get everyone on the same page. What the heck does it even mean for a game to be immersive? This terminology gets used a lot, but its meaning seems to change […]
- Be a beta testerBeta testing has begun and we would love to get feedback on everything! Do you like the music? Do you like the guides? Are any of the levels too hard? Do we need better hints? If you are interested to be a beta tester, jump on the Hint discord channel and let us know!
- Designing Addicting GamesVideo games are great. They’re a ton of fun to play and can be a cheap way to occupy your free time. They help people stay in touch with friends or even make new friends. Games are a far more interactive form of entertainment than just watching TV or movies. They keep your brain engaged and usually do a great job of rewarding players for their success. With all these benefits, it’s no surprise then that some people might get addicted. You could probably even make a good argument that all well designed games should be addicting in some way. […]
- Implementing a Talking Soundwave EffectI’m really happy with the voice actors that we chose for Hex and Neph. I think they do a great job of bringing tons of personality to the lines and what would have otherwise been plain text hints for the puzzles. I decided to go one step further, however, and added a “talking” animation. This accomplishes two important things: For players who have their volume turned all the way down (which is often the case for people playing games on their phone), it gives a visual indicator there is audio that they might be missing. It adds that ever important […]
- Bringing Hint’s Puzzle Guides to LifeI remember growing up when video games were first starting the transition to include voice acting. I played a lot of JRPGs and was hugely in love with the Final Fantasy series. Starting each new game was a joy. It felt like jumping into the start of an amazing adventure. The first time I played Final Fantasy 10, however, I was met almost immediately with an unexpected feeling of disappointment. I was not at all a fan of the new voice acting. I felt strongly that including those real voices made the game a worse experience and that video games […]