We’ll post articles periodically so check back in regularly for updates or subscribe below to get automatically notified when a new article goes live.
- Celebrating 1 Year with Janineby Chris CunninghamJanine, it has been a joy to work with you, and it feels like the time has flown by. I’m really proud of the progress we’ve made and what we have created so far. I couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate than by showing off your talent and a tiny fraction of the work you’ve done over the last year. Thank you so much for everything you do Janine! For everyone else, enjoy the art and a small peak behind the curtains for the making of Alarial’s Blessing.
- Bringing Characters to Lifeby Chris CunninghamWe’ve been working for a while now with a very talented animator, Asher Bozman. He’s been helping us bring movement to the world of Alarial’s Blessing and we wanted to share some of the progress. Each animation starts with a simple sketch to get the basics of the motion down. From there, we move to a clean version in black and white. The last step is filling in all the details and adding the coloring. At HexaNeph Games, we are big fans of traditional animation and feel it brings a little extra magic to all the motion in our game. … Read more
- Designing Games for Explorationby Chris CunninghamExploration is a critical component of many games, and it can take several different forms. Some games encourage players to explore their world. What might be over that next mountain? Will I find rare resources or some beautiful new scenery? Other games want players to explore their mechanics. What happens if I choose skills two and four? What will I create when combining these items? Further games may entice players to explore their narrative. What motivates these characters? Why is the world ending? The best exploration games do all these things and while it can manifest differently, exploration in video … Read more
- HexaNeph Games is looking for an animatorby Chris CunninghamAs of February 16th, 2023 we are no longer accepting applications! Progress is coming along nicely for the vertical slice of Alarial’s Blessing, but it’s time to bring in some more talent! We’re seeking an animator who can create video game sprite sheets for combat and world exploration. This includes idle, attack and movement animations. Here are a few examples of our game’s combat sprites and a screenshot showing the overall combat look. The image below is a demo sprite sheet showing the kind of work we’re looking for. We do have an in-house artist that can assist with coloring … Read more
- More JRPGs should embrace the red weddingby Chris CunninghamI’ve been playing JRPGs for many years now. It is a great genre for those of us who like to explore and strategize. You get to discover new worlds, meet interesting characters, and customize a party of combatants to overcome various challenges. While I have seen a huge diversity of wonderfully creative combat systems, these types of games do tend to tell a very similar story. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy saving the world as much as the next person. It is quite satisfying growing from the weakest fighter to the strongest warrior defeating all obstacles along the way. … Read more